Thursday 14 April 2011

Is Billy Pilgrim a Relateable Character?

He believes in time travel.  He believes in aliens.  He asks to be shot.  Is this really a relateable character?  Under the circumstances, yeah, I think he is.  No, I don't believe that he time travels, I think his once stable mind snapped under the pressures of war.  But seeing the suffering of people from your country and the opposition would make most become slightly unhinged.  On that thought, it is a definite possibility that you would want to die instead of spending one more minute in war.  It is well known that soldiers would shoot themselves in the foot to get out of the war if they were desperate enough, and that really takes a steady hand.  When pushed just a little farther, I can completely understand why the peacefulness of death would sound better than living in hell on earth, aka war.  The aliens could also have been an effect of his mental state.  Maybe even have been an outlet for his new ideas on life itself, a way of expression.  Because I consider his reactions to what he's been through understandable, I also consider Billy a relateable character.

No comments:

Post a Comment